I love this blog. I really, really do. I love the purpose behind it and that it all works together for a common goal…but sometimes I miss this blog, my photo blog which was not actually a photo blog because all I did was ramble on ad nauseum about life, because I usually did just that: ramble on ad nauseum about life. There have been occasional rambles here. This post and this post come to mind. But mostly the content featured here has been concise, directed, informational. And while it makes for a good business plan…it can sometimes lack in fun. And who wants that?!
So I’m going to keep posting in a linear fashion, following the outline that this blog is based upon. But I’m also going to make a concerted effort to ramble every now and again. Because that’s just how I roll.
Here’s what’s on my mind this afternoon:
1. I loved (LOVED!) the NFL Honors show last night. Alec Baldwin: great choice as host. Lenny Kravitz: not as great. Best consistently inspirational leader: Drew Brees. Best reason to love Aaron Rodgers that has nothing to do with his MVP status: “I was a big Niner fan as a kid…thanks for drafting me.” Hands down my favorite moment of the night.
Dear NFL, please do this show every year. I love it that the players got a chance to clean up and be recognized for their on-field achievements. All in all: fantastic event.
2. It’s Super Bowl Sunday, which means it’s my favorite day of the year that is not Christmas. My mom texted me this morning at 6am with this greeting: “GOOD SUPER BOWL MORNING!!! Are you watching T.H.E. show?!” Of course, she meant the special Super Bowl edition of Mike and Mike in the Morning, and of course, I was watching. Super Bowl Sunday = 18 hours of uninterrupted football programming. To some this might seem excessive but think of it this way: it’s the last chance to savor relevant NFL coverage until AUGUST.
(Which also makes today my most bittersweet day of the year.)
3. Stage 5: Acceptance
Or something like that.
4. I tried to make my own version of the Milk & Honey granola I’ve been
obsessed with enjoying lately. Mostly so I don’t continue to spend an inordinate amount of money shipping in granola from Chicago. I used this recipe as a base and it turned out great! But I think I might make a few tweaks next time around – dark chocolate cocoa powder, more honey, and possibly coconut oil. I’ll keep you posted.
5. Yesterday I purchased a $100 Kitchen Aid food processor for $30. I felt like I won the lottery. Which, in terms of culinary appliances, I pretty much did.
6. I totally dropped the ball on Super Bowl snacks this year. (I want to insert a snide remark about how this is similar to a certain playoff loss I recently witnessed…but I’ll refrain.) It’s really an epic fail for someone who loves food and football in disproportionate amounts…I don’t know what I was thinking. So the rents, who are here for the big game, and I are headed out to Wegmans for some last minute groceries. Hopefully we’ll get back before kickoff because I’m sure it’s going to be like the mall on Black Friday over there.Which is to say: stampede.
7. This season my parents and I did a family fantasy football league. Right now, one point separates my dad and I…so it all comes down to tonight! We’ll either tie or declare a victor! And don’t think for a second I’m hoping for a tie so that we can share the victory. Um, no. I lack any semblance of grace when it comes to competition. I’m going for the win!
I picked the Pats. He picked the Giants. Here’s to hoping the Hood doesn’t let me down.
What are you guys doing tonight? Who are you picking to win? And what are all of you prudent think-aheaders going to be snacking on? Please do tell!