Confession: I didn’t actually make this week’s dinner challenge meal. Unless you count taking pictures and cracking jokes as “making dinner.” But I definitely benefited from dinner, which is almost the same thing.
This week’s dish is from my mom, who found it in the January 2012 issue of Woman’s Day and tweaked it a bit. Here’s her version:
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella
- Season the rinsed chicken with salt and pepper.
- Coat the chicken with a layer of panko bread crumbs (we used Italian Style)
This is my Mom showcasing the bread crumbs
This is my mom showcasing the bread crumbs after she realized I was saying “Channel Vanna!” and not “Channel Santa!”
- Fry the chicken in olive oil – about 2-3 minutes per side
- Put about 1/2 cup of marinara sauce in the bottom of a baking dish
- Place fried chicken on top of marinara sauce
- Top the chicken with the remaining 1/2 cup of sauce
- Finish with a layer of shredded mozzarella (about 1/2 cup)
- Broil on High for 3 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbly
It’s a quick and easy version of the real deal, and you could easily add a side of pasta if you’re feeling traditional (or in need of carbs). Great weeknight dinner.
Preparation Time: Only 10-15 minutes, if that.
Dumpster Dinner, Not Bad, Good, Really Good, or Unbelievably Amazing: Really good! I love chicken parm so this is a nice time-saving alternative.
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 but almost 4/5 – for the same reason as last week: I’m not the biggest carnivore, so I probably wouldn’t make this all the time. But for an occasional easy weeknight meal, this is perfect!