There are 10 other posts sitting in my drafts folder just waiting to see the light of day…but this one just can’t wait any longer…even though it’s a repeat.
This meal is magical. Honestly. It’s guaranteed to make you feel better about life. Maybe it’s the brown sugar melting into the cinnamon. Or maybe it’s the burst of blueberries in the dead of winter. But whatever it is…it’s good, soul-warming, comfort food. Perfect for the last Monday in January!
lightly adapted from Martha Stewart Living, February 2010
- 2 cups milk, plus more for serving (I’ve been using Almond Milk and it works wonderfully!)
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving
- Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.