(For all of you fancy RSS and email subscribers, this post will only make sense if you visit the actual blog site. I encourage you to relocate there promptly. Ready…go!)
Public Service Announcement #1: I gave the blog a new coat of paint this morning! It may seem contradictory to the cause of staying consistent…but read on! There’s a revelation tucked into this post!
So, backstory which is not actually exciting or informative but which I will tell you all about anyways: I never really loved my old theme. I didn’t love the lack of sidebars which caused all of the menus and links to get shoved to the bottom. I didn’t love that EVERYTHING WAS IN CAPS because I’m more of a lowercase personality. And I really, oh so really, didn’t love the font. It pained me. (It’s nothing personal, old theme. Just irreconcilable differences.)
I decided to stick with the theme though because hey, that’s what I’m trying to do in life right now. So why not stick with a blog design? Why not be consistent in one thing in an effort to be consistent in all things? Am I right?! Am I right?!?!?!
Because sticking with something you don’t like just to stick with it even though there are better options that you actually do like is just stupid.
[Aside: That may be the biggest lesson I’ve learned from this whole staying endeavor thus far. It has major implications for other areas of life that are much weightier than blog design. (Thank you, Lauren, for helping this epiphany come to fruition over granola bars and brussels sprouts!) But deciding that it’s ok to not stay after you’ve made the commitment to stay is challenging. It’s like being on a diet and switching to maintenance: it’s hard to convince yourself that it’s ok to have a brownie after you’ve been eating asparagus for 3 weeks. Does that make sense? I wasn’t intending on this tangent…but it’s TRUE! Oh, so true.]
SO…with that in mind, I decided to make the change!
And I’m so glad I did.
I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!
(I’m glad I’m really driving home the evidence that clearly, I’m a lowercase personality.)
- I had to keep the smore’s header. It’s like my thesis statement for life.
- I also wanted to keep the light blue background. It just looked so wintery and clean and I just loved it…but now with added texture and layers I love it even more! Be on the lookout for the colors to change seasonally. (Also love having that option.)
- No more top line clutter! It’s simply an about page, a staying page which contains all of the top ten goals pages, and a resources page.
- If you’ll look to your right, you’ll see SO MANY WONDERFUL THINGS! (Again with the CAPS. Maybe I was wrong about THIS.)
- A mini welcome center. I want you to make yourself at home!
- A list of all of the staying goals with links to their definitions
- A search bar so you can quickly find old posts
- Links to other places you can find me on the interwebs
- A cloud of frequently discussed topics (frequency indicated by size…I love it that pinterest, food, and football are the biggest ones…)
- Twitter feed! Love having this on the sidebar now!
- Follow button for Pinterest…also love having this on the sidebar!
- Archives organized by month
- Then, on the bottom, is everything you need to follow along! There’s an RSS feed link and a button for email subscriptions.
- As for the actual posts…I could not be more enamored with the new layout. Love the font, love the little quote box that shows comment counts, love the “posted in” and “tagged” list in the footer…LOVE IT ALL!
So, moral of the story: don’t stay just for the sake of staying. Lesson learned, and learned in such a pretty way! Hope you all like the new design as much as I do!
Public Service Announcement #2: For some reason the Packers loss stings much more this morning than it did last night. Perhaps it’s because I’m listening to Mike and Mike and the only thing anyone can talk about is how HORRIBLE the Packers are. Um, that wasn’t your tune a few weeks ago, folks. I understand they stunk up the field last night, but all around, this is still an exceptional team. BACK OFF THE PACK.
(I think we can conclude that in the stages of grief I’ve moved right along from denial to anger.)
Public Service Announcement #3: APPARENTLY I’M A CAPS PERSON. Who knew. Things you learn by blogging: Lesson No. 948.