I’m about to make you so happy. You can’t even comprehend the level of bliss that will ensue from what will be posted below in 4.5 seconds.
This little gem? A chocolate lover’s DREAM. It might even go further than that, since I’m not sure I’ve ever dreamt up something quite so amazing. I can’t take any credit for this recipe – that goes to Divine Baking via Epicurious – so I’ll just take credit for being smart enough to make a batch. You’ll feel the same way once you try them.
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces), divided
3 large egg whites, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, divided (I used 2 cups)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl to soft peaks
- Gradually beat in 1/2 cup of sugar
- Whisk one cup of sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl
- Slowly incorporate whisked ingredients into the meringue
- Stir in lukewarm melted chocolate and 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Shape into tablespoon-sized balls and roll in s small bowl containing 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the tops begin to crack
Side note: I categorized these under “healthy” not just because they will aid in stabilizing my mental health in ways only chocolate can do, but also because they are not even close to being calorie bombs. On the contrary, they’re actually respectable as far as legit dessert goes. I mean, what other life-changing piece of chocolate heaven uses only egg whites, no butter, and weighs in at about 140 calories a piece? And they’re so rich that even though you probably could eat them all in one sitting (especially when they function as PMS survival cookies) one or two really does the trick.
I’m so excited for you to try these. Please do so asap. For your sake and mine.